Int J Med Sci 2020; 17(14):2163-2170. doi:10.7150/ijms.47357
Therapeutic effects and mechanisms of actions of Descurainia sophia
1. Department of Chinese Medicine, Taipei Tzu Chi Hospital, Buddhist Tzu Chi Medical Foundation.
2. School of Post-Baccalaureate Chinese Medicine, Tzu Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan.
3. Department of Research, Taipei Tzu Chi Hospital, Buddhist Tzu Chi Medical Foundation, New Taipei City, Taiwan.
4. Department of pulmonary medicine, Buddhist Taichung Tzu Chi General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan.
5. Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Taipei Tzu Chi Hospital, Buddhist Tzu Chi Medical Foundation, New Taipei City, Taiwan.
6. School of Medicine, Tzu-Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan.
#These authors contributed equally to this work.
Hsieh PC, Kuo CY, Lee YH, Wu YK, Yang MC, Tzeng IS, Lan CC. Therapeutic effects and mechanisms of actions of Descurainia sophia. Int J Med Sci 2020; 17(14):2163-2170. doi:10.7150/ijms.47357. Available from http://www.medsci.org/v17p2163.htm
Descurainia sophia Webb ex Prantl has been used in traditional medicine globally. It has been shown that Descurainia sophia, together with many other bioactive compounds, can modulate the biological functions of various genes. We have viewed the clinical benefits and mechanisms of action of Descurainia sophia associated with its current uses and outlined potential further applications. There are many studies documenting its numerous clinical effects in cancer, respiratory, gastrointestinal, and cardiac systems. Further, Descurainia sophia has been shown to exhibit anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidative, and anthelmintic activities. The clinical studies did not indicate any significant adverse effects of Descurainia sophia, demonstrating that it is a safe and effective herbal medicine. However, more clinical studies demonstrating the therapeutic effects of Descurainia sophia are still warranted.
Keywords: Descurainia sophia, phytochemical effects, traditional Chinese medicine