1. Department of Surgery, Chung-Kang Branch, Cheng-Ching General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan;
2. Institute of Medicine, School of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan;
3. Center for General Education, School of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan;
4. Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, Changhua Christian Hospital, Changhua, Taiwan;
5. School of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan;
6. Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan;
7. Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan;
8. Clinical laboratory, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan;
9. Center for Stem Cell Research, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
* These authors contributed equally
Endothelial cell-specific molecule 1 (ESM1) is a major prognostic marker of several tumor types, but its value as a marker for prostate cancer is unknown. The purpose of the present study was to measure the relationship of ESM1 expression with androgen receptor (AR) expression and with Gleason score in human prostate carcinoma tissue. Expression of ESM1 and AR were determined by immunohistochemical staining of prostate tissues from healthy individuals and patients with prostate cancer. The results showed that ESM1 expression was significantly higher in prostate tumor tissues than in normal prostate tissues (p < 0.01), and that ESM1 expression in prostate tumor tissue correlated with Gleason score (p < 0.016) and Gleason grade (p < 0.013). ESM1 expression was also greater in prostate tissues with higher Gleason score and Gleason grade (p < 0.001 for both comparisons), and also correlated with AR expression (R = 0.727, p < 0.001). In conclusion, our results demonstrated that ESM1 should be considered as a marker for the diagnosis of prostate cancer.
Keywords: Human prostate cancer, Gleason score, Endothelial cell specific molecule 1, Androgen Receptor.