Int J Med Sci 2015; 12(6):510-516. doi:10.7150/ijms.12097
Impact of Intercellular Adhesion Molecule-1 Genetic Polymorphisms on Coronary Artery Disease Susceptibility in Taiwanese Subjects
1. Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University,110, Section 1, Chien-Kuo North Road, Taichung, 40201, Taiwan
2. Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Yuan-Sheng Hospital and Changhua Christian Hospital, Yuanlin Branch, Yuanlin, Taiwan
3. Department of Internal Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, 110, Section 1, Chien-Kuo North Road, Taichung, 40201, Taiwan
4. School of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
5. Department of Biomedical Sciences, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
6. Department of Medical Research, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, Taichung, 40201, Taiwan
7. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Chou CH, Ueng KC, Liu YF, Wu CH, Yang SF, Wang PH. Impact of Intercellular Adhesion Molecule-1 Genetic Polymorphisms on Coronary Artery Disease Susceptibility in Taiwanese Subjects. Int J Med Sci 2015; 12(6):510-516. doi:10.7150/ijms.12097. Available from http://www.medsci.org/v12p0510.htm
The principal pathogenesis of coronary artery disease (CAD) is coronary artery atherosclerosis, a chronic inflammatory disease of the vessel walls of the coronary artery. Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) displays an important role in the development of the inflammation reaction and atherosclerosis. Few studies report the association of ICAM-1 genetic polymorphisms with CAD in Taiwanese subjects. Therefore, we conducted a study to associate the single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) of ICAM-1, rs5491, rs5498, rs281432 and rs3093030 with CAD. Five hundred and twenty-five male and female subjects, who received elective coronary angiography in Taiwan Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, were recruited to determine four ICAM-1 SNPs by real time-polymerase chain reaction and genotyping. The relationships among ICAM-1 SNPs, haplotypes, demographic and characteristics and CAD were analyzed. This study showed that rs281432 (C8823G) was the only ICAM-1 SNP which affect the development of CAD. Multivariate analysis revealed that ICAM-1 SNP rs281432 CC/CG [p=0.016; odds ratio (OR): 2.56, 95% confidence interval (CI): 1.19-5.56], male gender (p=0.018; OR: 1.66, 95% CI: 1.09-2.51), aspirin use in the past 7 days (p=0.001; OR: 2.05, 95% CI: 1.33-3.14), hypertension (p<0.001; OR: 2.15, 95% CI: 1.42-3.25), serum cardiac troponin I elevation (p<0.001; OR: 2.14, 95% CI: 1.47-3.24) and severe angina in recent 24 hours (p=0.001; OR: 1.97, 95% CI: 1.31- 2.95) increase the risk of CAD. In conclusion, ICAM-1 SNP rs281432 is an independent factor to predict the development of CAD. ICAM-1 SNP rs281432 homozygotic mutant GG can reduce the susceptibility to the CAD in Taiwanese subjects.
Keywords: Coronary artery disease, genetic polymorphism, haplotype, intercellular adhesion molecule-1, rs281432, Taiwanese.