Int J Med Sci 2019; 16(10):1371-1376. doi:10.7150/ijms.35267
Efficacy of Ahmed Glaucoma Valve Implantation on Neovascular Glaucoma
1. Department of Ophthalmology, Jiangsu Province Hospital, Nanjing, Jiangsu Province 210029, China
2. Department of Ophthalmology, The Second People's Hospital of Yunnan Province (Fourth Affiliated Hospital of Kunming Medical University); Yunnan Eye Institute; Key Laboratory of Yunnan Province for the Prevention and Treatment of ophthalmology (2017DG008); Provincial Innovation Team for Cataract and Ocular Fundus Disease (2017HC010); Expert Workstation of Yao Ke (2017IC064), Kunming 650021, China
3. Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, Jiangsu Province 210029, China
4. Public Health, the University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, 85709, USA
5. Tissue Tech, Inc., Ocular Surface Center, and Ocular Surface Research & Education Foundation, Miami, FL 33173, USA
*The first two authors contribute equally to this work.
To evaluate the efficacy of Ahmed glaucoma valve (AGV) implantation in treating neovascular glaucoma (NVG) and analyze the factors influencing the surgical success rate, a retrospective investigation of 59 NVG patients (66 eyes) who underwent AGV implantation was conducted at Jiangsu Province Hospital, China, from January 2014 to June 2018. Intraocular pressure (IOP), visual acuity, surgical success rates, medications, and complications were monitored at post-operative 1 day, 1 week, 1, 3, 6 and 12 months. Surgical success criteria were defined as 6 mm Hg < IOP < 21 mmHg with or without additional medications. Results showed average IOP was statistically significant between pre-operative visit and each follow-up visit (all P<0.05). At 12 months, the success rate was 66.7%. Multiple stepwise regression analysis suggested that age, panretinal photocoagulation (PRP), complications and hyphema were significant factors influencing the surgical success rate (all P<0.05). Thus, we conclude that AGV implantation is effective and safe for treatment of NVG. Surgical success is dependent on age, PRP, complications, and hyphema.
Keywords: Ahmed glaucoma valve, influence factor, neovascular glaucoma, surgical success rate
Xie Z, Liu H, Du M, Zhu M, Tighe S, Chen X, Yuan Z, Sun H. Efficacy of Ahmed Glaucoma Valve Implantation on Neovascular Glaucoma. Int J Med Sci 2019; 16(10):1371-1376. doi:10.7150/ijms.35267. Available from http://www.medsci.org/v16p1371.htm