Int J Med Sci 2019; 16(9):1215-1220. doi:10.7150/ijms.34073
Living Donor Liver Transplantation in Biliary Atresia Children with Pulmonary Hypertension
1. Department of Anesthesiology, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surgery Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, 200433, China;
2. Department of Anesthesiology, Shanghai Pulmonary Hospital, Tongji University School of Medicine, Shanghai, 200433, China;
3. Department of Anesthesiology, Renji Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, 200127, China.
4. Department of Hepatic Surgery, Renji Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, 200127, China.
5. Department of Medical Imaging-Ultrasound, JiaHui International Hospital, Shanghai, 200233, China.
*These authors contribute equally to this work.
Objective: Though living donor liver transplantation (LDLT) is commonly performed for pediatric patients with biliary atresia (BA), pulmonary hypertension (PH) is seldom encountered or reported previously. The aim of this study is mainly to identify the prevalence of PH in pediatric patients undergoing liver transplantation and assess whether PH significantly augment the operative risk and evaluate the outcomes in this series of patients.
Design: Retrospectively cohort study.
Setting: Renji hospital, Shanghai, China.
Participants: This study comprised 161 pediatric patients undergoing LDLT.
Interventions: Patient diagnosed of PH in preoperative examination was compared to those without PH in intra- or post- operative complications or outcomes.
Measurements and Main Results: We collected clinical records of LDLT surgery for pediatric patients during the year of 2016 in our hospital. Results suggested that pediatric patients undergoing LDLT had a substantial number of PH with a prevalence of 16.1% in this study. No significant difference was identified between two groups of patients regarding intraoperative outcomes and postoperative complications and mortality.
Conclusion: LDLT is a safe procedure in a selected group of BA patients with PH, however, further long-term clinical investigations and mechanical researches are needed.
Keywords: pulmonary hypertension, living donor liver transplantation, pediatric liver transplantation, outcomes.
Meng XY, Chen MY, Pan ZY, Lu YF, Wei W, Lu YG. Living Donor Liver Transplantation in Biliary Atresia Children with Pulmonary Hypertension. Int J Med Sci 2019; 16(9):1215-1220. doi:10.7150/ijms.34073. Available from http://www.medsci.org/v16p1215.htm