Int J Med Sci 2016; 13(11):835-840. doi:10.7150/ijms.16563
The Limbal Epithelial Progenitors in the Limbal Niche Environment
1. Research and Development Department, TissueTech, Inc., 7000 SW 97th Avenue, Suite 212, Miami, FL 33173, USA
2. Department of Ophthalmology, the First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, 210029, China
3. Department of Ophthalmology, Yan' An Hospital of Kunming City, Kunming, 650051, China
4. Department of Ophthalmology, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, 430030, China
5. Shenzhen Eye Hospital, School of Optometry & Ophthalmology of Shenzhen University, Shenzhen Key Laboratory of Department of Ophthalmology, Shenzhen, 518000, China
*The first two authors contributed equally to this manuscript.
Limbal epithelial progenitors are stem cells located in limbal palisades of vogt. In this review, we present the audience with recent evidence that limbal epithelial progenitors may be a powerful stem cell resource for the cure of human corneal stem cell deficiency. Further understanding of their mechanism may shed lights to the future successful application of stem cell therapy not only to the eye tissue, but also to the other tissues in the human body.
Keywords: Limbal epithelial progenitors, stem cell
Zhang Y, Sun H, Liu Y, Chen S, Cai S, Zhu Y, Guo P. The Limbal Epithelial Progenitors in the Limbal Niche Environment. Int J Med Sci 2016; 13(11):835-840. doi:10.7150/ijms.16563. Available from http://www.medsci.org/v13p0835.htm