Int J Med Sci 2013; 10(3):286-291. doi:10.7150/ijms.5343
Emulsified Isoflurane Preconditioning Protects Isolated Rat Kupffer Cells against Hypoxia/Reoxygenation-Induced Injury
1. Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surgery Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, 200438, China.
2. Department of Anaesthesia, Navy General Hospital of People's Liberation Army, 6# Fucheng Road, Beijing, 100048, China.
3. Organ Transplantation Center, Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, 200002, China.
4. Department of Experiment Study, Affiliated Tumor Hospital of Guangxi Medical University, Nanning, Guangxi Autonomous Region, 530021, China.
* These authors contributed equally to this work.
Objective: To investigate the protective effect of emulsified isoflurane (EI) preconditioning on isolated rat Kupffer cells (KCs) subjected to hypoxia/reoxygenation (H/R)-induced injury.
Materials and methods: KCs were isolated by collagenase digestion and purified by Percoll density gradient centrifugation. Primary cultured KCs were divided into five groups: control, H/R plus 0.1% lipid preconditioning, and H/R plus 0.05%, 0.1% or 0.2% emulsified isoflurane preconditioning groups. H/R was induced by 4 h of hypoxia followed by 6 h of reoxygenation. Reactive oxygen species (ROS) production in the KCs and the concentration of tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) in the KC culture media were measured, and the apoptosis of KCs was assayed concomitantly.
Results: ROS and TNF-α production were markedly induced in the H/R + lipid group, and lower in the 0.2% and 0.1% EI groups (P<0.05). The apoptotic rate in the H/R + lipid group was significantly higher than that in the 0.2% and 0.1% EI groups (P<0.05).
Conclusions: Emulsified isoflurane protects isolated rat KCs against H/R induced injury by decreasing the production of ROS and TNF-α and attenuating apoptosis in KCs.
Keywords: kupffer cells, emulsified isoflurane, oxidative stress, rats, apoptosis.
Wang Z, Lv H, Song S, Shen X, Yang L, Yu W. Emulsified Isoflurane Preconditioning Protects Isolated Rat Kupffer Cells against Hypoxia/Reoxygenation-Induced Injury. Int J Med Sci 2013; 10(3):286-291. doi:10.7150/ijms.5343. Available from http://www.medsci.org/v10p0286.htm